Fire Fighting Equipment Servicing
Annual inspection and Servicing of Portable Fire Extinguishers
According to the guidelines set by MSC/Circ.847, MSC/Circ.850, MSC/Circ.847/Corr.1, portable fire extinguishers must be serviced as follows:
- The extinguishers should be examined annually by a competent person.
- Each extinguisher should be provided with a sign indicating that it has been examined.
- Containers of permanently pressurized fire extinguishers and propellant bottles of non-pressurized fire extinguishers should be hydraulic pressure tested as follows:
- powder extinguishers every 10 years;
- CO2 extinguishers every 10 years; and
- other extinguishers every 10 years.
Containers of non-permanently pressurized fire extinguishers should be hydraulic pressure tested every 10 years.